Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Charmed Life - Blessing




Yes, I was and am very blessed. I give God the honor and glory. My beloved parents built our cottage - I mean literally my beloved Daddy and his brothers and family friends built the cottage on Beech Hill Pond.. .the very year I came into the world. . . And that special place today - after all these years - still captures my heart. . . When I am sad, I look at pictures and cry. . tears of joy at having had such a wonderfully blessed childhood. . .. Thank you Mum and Daddy who are now with Jesus - thank you for the most wonderful memories of my life. . I know the way you raised me is a big part of who I am today. For anyone who is not familiar with Maine, Beech Hill Pond is about one half hour from Bar Harbor - another very special place to me. . .



Every year, about two or three times a summer, we would leave our summer cottage and go to the Coast for a picnic on Sand Beach at Bar Harbor, Maine.. . walk on over to Thunder Hole and have a Maine lobster feed on the way back to "camp". . . Another one of my favorite places on earth. . . If you ever are blessed to visit Maine, take a ride to Bar Harbor and go up Cadillac Mountain and Acadia National Park. . You will never ever forget that breathtaking view. . . Then go to Sand Beach - The water was like ice compared to how it is here in Florida but we loved every bit of it! Most people would say I had a charmed childhood - they are absolutely right.



Thanks to my beloved Daddy, I learned how to drive a boat by the time I was 7 years old and I am speaking of a huge inboard . . could swim like a fish at age 4, flew with my Daddy in his own sea plane, had a beloved Mum who cooked and cleaned the old fashioned way and believe all of us had our chores yet she always found time to play games with us and be our best cheerleader offering us unconditional love and encouragement. I had a beloved Mum & Daddy who would take us all out fishing every Saturday night on our own version of "Golden Pond" and Mum would fry those perch and salmon up for our Sunday breakfast - yummy.. Other kids from around the lake - our special friends, Sue, Owen, John, Connie, Freddie.. Snooky, Vickie, . . everyone would be able to know when my beloved Mum was frying her homemade donuts. . . they would come over in their boats. . Now I know and appreciate that blessing. . . .Back when refrigerator biscuits were probably not even thought of - these donuts were made from scratch and hand cut. . She also would make "Whoopie Pies" a Maine treat. . Ever had one of those? DON'T EVER HAVE ONE as you would gain ten pounds!! They are THE dessert of Maine and I have the secret recipe. . Maybe someday I will post it for you all. . . .



My beloved Daddy worked hard all his life to give his family every important blessing in life. . .and it all started with introducing us to God at an early age. . Yes, we had a blessed childhood, being able to summer every year at our cottage right on the lake - but we also had beloved parents who believed in teaching us The Ten Commandments and living them in front of our eyes as an example. . . They also spent hours with us playing games and teaching us important lessons and values. . We did not go anywhere as a family that we didn't all sing hymns in the car all the way. . It was just a part of our family, just like going to church. . Since I was old enough to pronounce the word Jesus, I have known Him as Lord and Savior. . .What a gift!


The cottage has been sold - and we don't get to Maine much any more - but it is and always will be my "Heaven On Earth". . . and one of the biggest blessings of my life.. . . .a "charmed" life. . . . a "blessed life" . . Perhaps one day, God willing, I will be able to return to Beech Hill Pond - Who knows the plans God has for me? From this very thankful heart - I pray that those reading this Blog will one day find their own little piece of "Heaven On Earth". . .